What I learn about men each day

My life in a coffee shop. May interactions and dealings with customers every day. Mostly about men because they are so memorable. For women to read because we will see these traits in all of our men.

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Dress your Age

I just have to talk about this alarming trend of Mom's trying to dress like their daughters. There have been in the past month a good many moms and daughters in to buy coffee in the shop. More than I would like to see, the mom's are wearing belly shirts and jeans or skirts that the moms should not be even trying to wear at their age and body type. Moms also have navel piercings and wear g-strings hanging out of their jeans. I think many times the daughters are embarrassed to be seen with mom. The girls want young guys to look at them = don't look at my mom!
Along with the clothes goes the plastic surgery, the boobs, the collagen, the fake poofy hair, the waxings and the attitude. That goes for both moms and daughters.
At the shop we discuss what type of example these moms are projecting for their daughters. Of course this is Southern beach community, California. I really don't think anyone realizes that this is an unreal world we live in here. Most of the rest of the country is not as image conscious or materialistic as we are. So what happens to these women when they go off to school or move away for any reason. Do they still crave the attention? Do they find a new plastic surgeon?
I do have the teenage daughter. And no I don't dress like her. I do have some similar clothes but I just mix and match them a little differently so my daughter isn't embarrassed with me. And yes- we do things together, like go to the coffee shop and check out other people and what they are wearing.
So guys- you get a break tonight. I don't see a lot of men dressing like their sons. Also, not a lot of enhancements with you guys either. Congrats
Have a good Friday
Coco

3 Comments:

Blogger CoCo said...

Atually bc-man , there are quite a lot of trailer parks in my town in California. There is even one 1/2 block from the beach. High rent district.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to say straight out that it's not about dressing your age. It's about not dressing like a tramp. I don't have any teenage daughter, but if I did we could share clothes just like I shared clothes with my mother. I wear a lot of youthful styles women my age aren't supposed to wear according to convention. For instance I wear low rise boot cut jeans all the time with slinky boots, I wear cap sleeve t-shirts (not with any asinine messages on them), hoodies, and any number of adorable, body hugging shirts I've found in juniors.

Nobody has ever stared at me funny or asked me why I am attempting to dress like a teenager. Know why? Because I know what looks good on me, I am appropriately covered up and I don't wear these clothes in the exact same fashion as the young set do. It's called class.

And IMHO running around with your tummy bared at whatever age is stupid, even if it looks good on you. It's classless and trampy. But to me just as bad as the woman who is trying to dress like a 20-year-old rock star when she's 40 is the 40 year old woman who has just thrown in the towel. She wears ugly fashions created as some joke to drape 40+ or old women as they call us in like Chicos, Coldwater Creek and J. Jill. Ick! Those are the plainest, most hideous clothes on the planet.

And the styles never change. It's all skirts down to the ankles, gawdy tunics, flowy pants with weird, loud patterns, and boxy jackets that look like they were made from chair upholstery. Sorry, I will never shop there. I find my clothes at Chadwicks, LaRedoute, Ann Taylor Loft, the Gap and Banana Republic.

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you sad git....

you take your daughter out to check out other people!

your sad.

6:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home