What I learn about men each day

My life in a coffee shop. May interactions and dealings with customers every day. Mostly about men because they are so memorable. For women to read because we will see these traits in all of our men.

Monday, April 03, 2006

Coffee after Worship ? Please don't ...

So today is Sunday and you would think that customers would be in a great mood because it is their day off, they can also go to church and be thankful for all they have in their lives. BUT OH NO ! Serving coffee to Sunday customers is one of the most difficult parts of my job. I often think I deserve battle pay for working on Sunday. I see people at their absolute worst on Sundays and let me tell you it is the church-going person who is the worst of them all. They are grumpy and grouchy and very mean-spirited. It makes me wonder what is going on in their place of worship. I can tell them a mile away. They are wearing a nice suit or a flowery dress with a frown on their faces. They come to the counter telling me what they "need". Or "make me" a latte. Believe me no one "needs" a latte. It is not an essential part of life to "need" any coffee drink as much as they do. Just what are you preachers or pastors or priests telling my customers to make them so darn grouchy in the morning? Please it is your job to make them happy and feel good about themselves!
Anyone else experiencing this grouchiness on Sundays. I'll bet anyone in the service industry will back me up on this.
O by the way I looked and scheduled myself to work on Easter Sunday. I just wasn't thinking that far ahead. Can you say SICK DAY?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Bible explains all...

Beginning at Isaiah 51:9 and repeated in 51:17 and 52:1 are the words “Awake! Awake!” In 51:9 it is added, “Put on strength!”

What is interesting is the development in 51:17. The text reads: “Awake, awake! Stand up, O Jerusalem, You who have drunk at the hand of the Lord, the cup … of trembling, and drained it out.” Here there are significant points to be made. God first calls His people to “Awake!” Surely this is a call to alertness. That He repeats the command three times in two chapters means He is dreadfully serious about this imperative. It is simply not God’s will that His people be tired and groggy!

Secondly, God seems to point out the means by which His people are to awaken. “You who have drunk at the hand of the Lord.” By drinking something the people are to be awakened. This beverage comes from God, and therefore must be received with thanksgiving. Since the Greek term for thanksgiving is ejucaristiva (eucharistia) and since “eucharist” is a sacramental term in theology, the beverage referred to in this passage is obviously regarded as a sacrament.

Finally, a very important clue in the text points to which specific beverage is being referred to. It is “the cup … of trembling.” All people know which type of popular beverage causes one to tremble after consumption. Only caffeinated beverages have this effect.

In sum, God’s will is for people to be awake and alert, not groggy and tired. The means which He provides for bringing about His will in the lives of His people seems to be the beverage that causes trembling. That is, coffee is seen here as the means of grace for accomplishing His divine will.

Either that, or you're dealing with a bunch of Jerks.

In any case, they should all be sold some of the lovely thermos containers so they can get their fix in BEFORE Church and not give you so much grief afterwards.

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home