What I learn about men each day

My life in a coffee shop. May interactions and dealings with customers every day. Mostly about men because they are so memorable. For women to read because we will see these traits in all of our men.

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Homeless

So what is it about the dawn of a new day that brings the homeless from their resting places? I opened my coffeeshop at 5am this morning and by 515am there had been at least 3 homeless in to wash up in my bathroom. They kind of sneak in the door and stay for awhile in the bathroom. I had many complaints about the state of the bathroom after. No one wants to clean up after themselves even the homeless.
Before you tell me what a horrible, unfeeling person I am let me tell you what I have to deal with.
Homeless solicit in front of my store and customers walk away. Bad for business. At 5am when it is dark, no one wants to be solicited in the dark. Ok= maybe for a ton more money maybe.
If i won't give them a free coffee because they are "down on their luck" I get merchandise thrown at me and get cursed at worse than a sailor can. The police are my friends. I have to call them on a regular basis. At least now at 5am I can see their police cars at the curb watching out for us in the shop.
I am really tired of it. I really don't think I get paid enough to deal with the homeless who are a little loony as well. Some are downright creepy . Maybe I could get paid sometype of battle pay.
I just had a hard morning and had to rant.
Good news: the day is done
Bad news: i have to do it all over again tomorrow.
Coco

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd bet that many of these homeless have substance abuse problems and/or mental illness.

Unless the corporate management allows you to deny access to facilities to them, you're going to have to deal.

I don't know how incoherent these folks are, but if rules are established (time in restroom, begging) and good behavior rewarded (coffee?) maybe the situation could be more managable.

In reality there are many people out there heading toward a bottom. You may look down on these homeless 'bums' but I'd bet that most of them didn't get born that way. They need to make their own decision to seek recovery, at least the ones who aren't mentally ill.

Perhaps you could collect information on resources (AA, County Health) and provide that to these folks. Might do nothing, might help.

All this being said, the regular patrons shouldn't have to put up with a foul restroom ... so the rules need to be enforced.

I'm sure the police will help you as well.

8:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home